Sunday, April 27, 2008

GOAL!!!

A while back I attended a futbol match (yes, soccer) and would like to share with you my experience... it was a blast and definitely exhilarating. 

Today I worshiped at The Temple… along side thousands of other devout pais vascons. The air fills with murmurs and faint chants… people stream in… anticipation mounts. I’m welcomed into this sacred place. The grass lays green, a light rain dampens the field. A chill stings the nose but my vision clears as I enter the arena. The sky bears the residue of a passing storm… a blue begins, it creeps through the clouds… it’s time to take my seat and experience… it’s time to cheer and clap and whistle and boo and slap high-fives… I’ll twirl my scarf as the first goal materializes right in from of me. GOAL!!! A finesse cross, a header, a goal. screams. 

The rowdiest of the basques chant close and fierce. They raise banners and wave flags and shout unmentionable (and indecipherable) venom at the opposes… I join in, mimicking the gestures, the chants and am undoubtedly noticed and proclaimed as a Poser (wonder how to translate that one into Spanish). But I wear my scarf with pride. I carefully and deliberately wrap that thing around my neck, only to rip it off, waiving it wildly as a foot meets a ball meets the back of a net. Also, it just so happens I stand in the front row. Only a skinny barrier keeps me from the elite. Ever seen the streakers on t.v. running around all crazy? Yeah… I now understand the ease in which a streaker advances… hop and rock and flop… ha… I thought about trying it… I really did.

Half-time brings bocadillos and a full belly. Traditionally the devout munch on bocadillo sandwiches while preparing mind, body and spirit for the second half of the ensuing battle. I join in. I feel a part of something… more and more… I love this place… bilbao, getxo, the basque country, spain. The people, the lifestyle, the community, the countryside, the city, the cafes, the plazas, the ocean, the parks, the metro, the river… the victory! 2-0 Bilbao Athletic Club 

...agur ('goodbye' in basque)

 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Evanito, que tonta estoy! Hace 4 meses pudiera estar recibiendo sus blogs a mi e-mail. Pero NO, en ese momento, no mas 3 semanas antes de su regreso a los Estados Unidos, empiezo a subscribir a sus blogs diarios. Tengo verguenza y lastima de eso. A mi me parece que su viaje al Espana ha estado magnificado. Y que sus blogs han estado magnificados tambien. Ahora voy a leer unos blogs viejos tuyos. Mucho amor, tu Tia Luisa

Unknown said...

OK, here's the translation for you non-Spanish-speaking blog readers! Dear Evan, I am so stupid! It's been 4 months that I could have been receiving your blogs to my e-mail. But NOOooo, in this moment, no more than 3 weeks before you return to the US, I start to subscribe to your daily blogs. I am ashamed and sad about this. It seems to me that your trip to Spain has been magnificent. And your blogs have been magnificent too. Now I'm going to read a few of your old blogs. Much love, your Tia Luisa (aunt)

Mom (fake) said...

Now I can see it all!

Evie, thank you so much for being our magnificent host in the beautiful pais Vasco. It is my belief that part of you will always be an ex-patriot living in Getxo! In only a week it stole my heart - what a wonderful world!

Love, Mom