Monday, February 11, 2008

the spanish coastline

Here's a little look into my past... this takes place last friday: 

the coastline is my objective. The sky looks fairly ominous as I adventure from my humble abode on Gobelaurre in las Aranas. Yet, again I welcome whatever’s ahead of me. My travels take me through unknown streets and past nuevo parts of Gexto. The whole time the ocean’s apparent gravitational pull beckons me near. Ah, there she is… I look down from an elevated park as theological ponderings emerge. God has been so evident throughout this Spanish experience so far. He continues to reveal Himself to me… He’s on my mind as I press onward. Up a hill, towards a cliff, through the woods toward’s my Father’s majesty I go… I find little pathways meandering beside the cliff, and secluded turns directing me towards spectacular vistas. Yet, all the while the clouds linger above me. the view is somewhat diminished but no less appreciated.

As I continue, I see a dog off in the distance. Some background: there are these water fountains that appear randomly on the side of roads/side walks, both animals and humans drink from them. So, this dog trots over. He wags his tail, his butt moving with anticipation as he steals glances toward his owner as if to say: 'daddy daddy, aqua, aqua, aqua… pooor favoor!!!' El hombre strolls over… water flows, el perro laps it up. He lets out a little yelp of satisfaction… it’s the small pleasures in life, right? I miss my dogs.

I’m walking on an incredibly long path towards a town called sopalana. It’s a small neighborhood perched on the hill.

So… a suggestion: when traveling to Spain bring along two recreational devices… a mountain bike and golf clubs… along the path many bike trails emerge. I watch a gentleman easily navigating the trail along the cliff. The look of confidence on his face gives an impression of experience. However, I realize this aptitude did not in fact exist. As he tumbles to the ground, with yells of Spanish exclamations… I think to myself, ‘oh goodness, is he vale (ok)?’ Well yes, with true Spanish resiliency he stands to his feet and without a nod to my American curiosity brushes himself off… ‘vamonos.’ Onward.

Also, the golf course on my derecha, with it’s yards, excuse me, its’ meters of tightly mown green grass, entices me. Yet my attention soon returns to the ocean’s call… actually, quite literally a call … On the edge of the cliff, a large nautical mechanism stands tall before me. It belches out a series of long ‘buuurrrrhhh’s. It yells to the multiple sailboats off shore. Well at the time this seemed somewhat interesting... 

I wander some more, and the setting sun and the increasing chill in the air recommend I meander back to the homestead. Soon I see Fabrice off in the distance; that’s a surprise. Us lonesome travelers reunite and rest the hooves at a little café down the road. We proceed to talk in Espanol for the next half an hour. It’s a very simple conversation, but very practical. At this point I possess a treasure chest… of sorts… of words and phrases. I mix and match to form various sentences. Yet, have no fear, my arsenal grows.

Also... that same night brings a new experience in an old venue. I meet Fabrice’s intercambio (language partner) and her friend. We go to ‘fever,’ a discotec. I dance. I meet another Spaniard. She asks me for fuego (a light). Loud music and a language barrier combine for quite the challenge. Finally, I entiendo and she asks me where I’m from. We talk, or rather yell at each other for quite sometime, exchanging the basics. I speak mostly in Spanish, she often responds in English. We both practice. She introduces her friends; I say many ‘encantada’s… The interaction is very encouraging. I’m beginning to meet some locals and possibly have an opportunity for further friendships.

On a more personal note, I’ve been attempting to pray to God some in Spanish... i don't known, there's something about it... incredible... one of the most rewarding experiences yet. 

and my barcelona excursion is still being inscribed... gracias por tu pathiencia 

and one more thing... in a way this process of blogging really makes me feel more connected to all of you... thanks for reading

2 comments:

Meghan said...

i feel more connected to you!! thanks so much for writing. sorry we haven't been on skype yet--i keep forgetting to sign on, but have set our preferences to sign us on whenever we're on the computer. that way i'm sure we'll bump into each other.

loved your post and i love you!!

Mom (fake) said...

Thanks for taking the time to write, Evie! And for the photos. The puppies miss you, too. Can't wait to walk that coastline.
Love YOU!